Illegal Questions (Don't Ask)
Legal Questions (OK to Ask)
| National Origin/Citizenship |
- Are you a U.S. citizen?
- Where were you/your parents born?
- What is your "native tongue"?
- Are you authorized to work in the United States?
- What language do you read/speak/write fluently? (This question is OK only if this ability is relevant to the performance of the job.)
| Age || |
- How old are you?
- When did you graduate?
- What's your birth date?
- Are you over the age of 18?
| Marital/Family Status |
- What's your marital status?
- With whom do you live?
- Do you plan to have a family? When?
- How many kids do you have?
- What are your child-care arrangements?
- Would you be willing to relocate if necessary?
- Would you be able and willing to travel as needed for the job? (This is OK if it is asked of all applicants for the job.)
- Would you be able and willing to work overtime as necessary? (Again, this question is OK assuming it is asked of all applicants for the job.)
| Affiliations || |
- What clubs or social organizations do you belong to?
- List any professional or trade groups or other organizations that you belong to that you consider relevant to your ability to perform this job.
| Personal || |
- How tall are you?
- How much do you weight? (Questions about height and weight are not acceptable unless minimum standards are essential for the safe performance of the job.)
- Are you able to life a 50-pound weight and carry it 100 yards, as that is part of the job?
| Disabilities || |
- Do you have any disabilities?
- Please complete the following medical history.
- Have you had any recent or past illnesses or operations? If yes, lest them and give dates when these occurred.
- What was the date of your last physical exam?
- How's your family's health?
- When did you lose your eyesight? How?
- Do you need an accommodation to perform the job? (This question can be asked only after a job offer has been made.)
- Are you able to perform the essential functions of this job? (This question is OK if the interviewer has thoroughly described the job.)
- Can you demonstrate how you would perform the following job-related functions?
- As part of the hiring process, after a job offer has been made, you will be required to undergo a medical exam. (Exam results must be kept strictly confidential, except medical/safety personnel may be informed if emergency treatment is required, and supervisors may be informed about necessary job accommodations, based on exam results.)
| Arrest Record |
- Have you ever been arrested?
- Have you ever been convicted of _____? (The crime named should be reasonably related to the performance of the job in question.)
| Military || |
- If you've been in the military, were you honorable discharged?
- In what branch of the Armed Forces did you serve?
- What type of training or education did you receive in the military?